Chiefs too good for Makepekepe

Bruce Ngwenya: Bulawayo Chiefs Media

7 months ago

BULAWAYO Chiefs cemented their name of being giant killers when they earned their madein victory over Caps United in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match played at Luveve Stadium this afternoon. 

After two draws in a row against Highlanders and Herentals , the Twitter Kings backed their previous performances with a 2 nil victory over the green machine , in the process seeing their unbeaten run stretching to seven games. The Bulawayo based side has enjoyed three wins and four draws during their perpetuating unbeaten run. 
Today's contest started on a tortoise pace, with both teams shy of moving forward. But as the rust was removed from the napping players the crowd began to see fireworks.
Arthur Musiyiwa's hard and low shot got things underway at Luveve. making United goalkeeper Tatenda Munditi and his two aiders Marshal Machazane and Jimmy Dzingai realised that they were not taking a walk in the park but they were in the battle field. 

Wilson Mensah who was given a debut start in the first eleven came close to finding the back of the net. Munditi was equal to the Ghananian task that he dealt with it accordingly. 

Farau Matare cashed in for Chiefs to have a one nil lead after a slopy ball clearance by the Caps defenders. This saw the Chiefs' striker also opening his scoring account of the current season, a momentum he would want to continue with. 
The goal was what the match needed as the players seemed to have been waken up from their naps. The physical midfield battle intensified with the referee blowing whistle after whistle like a song on repeat. 

Perfect Chikwende showed his class by dominating the play in the midfield, proving why he was once the household scourge of Zimbabwean football. 
Matare was having an afternoon of his lifetime as he was all over the United defence but just lacked the final touch to burry his chances. 
The writing was on the wall for the green machine that it was going to be a demanding afternoon for them. But they would not sit back and allow Chiefs to dominate them like a bull on a kraal. 

Makepekepe got their first chance of the game from a set piece, after Phenias Bamusi was fouled by Malvin Mkolo just outside of the 18 yard box. The resulting free-kick was a disappointing one as the ball was caught by the cheering fans in the terraces. 
Matare came close to doubling his tally for the afternoon but his effort was disappointing. He missed a chance that looked easier to score than to miss leading to the frustration of the Chiefs' faithfulls that had made their way to the Stadium to support their beloved team. 
The visitors raided the Chiefs' defence and the ball fell to Bamusi who was flat footed. His effort was teasingly delt with by David Bizabani who was making his come back for Amakhosi after a lengthy spell on the bench. 
Mensah found his maiden Chiefs goal with a thunderbolt shot outside the box to give his side a two goal cushion in the 26th minute of the game. The green machine was really breaking down as Mensah had to bite the hand that used to feed him when he scored against his former pay masters. 
Chiefs were no longer visitors in the United's box as they were storming in and out like a landlord boasting in his apartment. Chikwende saw his effort inside the 12 yard going over the cross bar when he had only the keeper to beat. 
Devon Chafa made his experience count as he changed the complexion of the game by winning many duels during the dying moments of the first half. However Chiefs managed to claw to their lead until the referee signalled the half time. 
United knew that they had a huge mountain to climb in the second half. It was a question of whether they had the formula to solve the equation that Chiefs had tasked them with. 

They made their intentions very clear like a crystal that they will launch attack after attack. The first chance fell to William Manondo who fired his shot that required a lightning speed reaction from Bizabani to make sure that the scores remained the same. 
Rodwell Chinyengetere was to follow with his marvellous strike but Chiefs' number one had other ideas in mind. United's means of reducing the deficit were slowly demonising as Bizabani kept them at bay. 
The green machine was now guns blazing as Chiefs was chasing shadows. Diego Makurumbidze had a glorious opportunity to pull one back but his header sailed over the goal. 

Ben Nyawunzwi replaced Mensah in the later stages of the match to try and steady the ship for Chiefs and avoid the Highlanders horrors.
At the other end Musiyiwa had an opportunity to add his name on the score sheet but his shot was blocked by Dzingai. 
With the time flying away for the visitors, Chinyengetere thought he had pulled one back for Makepekepe but Bizabani produced a world class save by denying the United defensive link man a goal.

The referee signalled the tale of regrets and joys for both teams and Chiefs benefiting at the expense of Caps United. 
The victory takes Chiefs to 22 points and the visitors remained rooted on 17 points. 
Chiefs' assistant coach Thulani Sibanda was a delighted man after the match as he credited his players. 
"Yes, I think the boys played very well, a lot of determination. We have to give them credit for that". said Sibanda. 
Bulawayo Chiefs next opponent is another Harare based side Yadah FC in Harare